Tales of the Employed Unemployee
Today, I realized how many people in LA don't work. I know everyone says that about LA, but actually seeing it still amazes me. What amazes me even more is that everyone looks like they're being paid not to work. Everyone just looks like they have so much time on their hands, not a care in the world, except for maybe whether or not they really got the nonfat milk they asked for in their lattes, or if indeed! it was replaced by whole milk and that no, the barrista was not paying attention after all.
Maybe they're not unemployed. Maybe its their day off. Maybe its their lunch break. Maybe they're on vacation. But all I can say is that these people who are not working between the hours of 9 to 6 for the most part, all look GOOD. The guys look good, the girls look good, even the babies and dogs look good. Boy, that's LA for you.
Today on my one-day-job, I went around LA gyms and fitness clubs trying to get people to audition for a print ad. Boy, people in LA sure work out ALOT. Not only do they work out, they work out at HUGE fitness centers that have valets dressed all in white to greet you when you get out of the car. Whatever happened to that diet tip where you're suppose to park as far away as possible so you can get a mini work-out from the walk? But I guess if you can afford it, you just pay to have someone do the mini work out for you BEFORE you actually work out yourself.
I also listened to bits and pieces of the same newscast on NPR oh about five times in my car. I can't stand the other radio stations now...whatever happened to all the good stuff?
7 comments:
They're not on a day off. You're are absolutely correct. these folks work to LIVE on unemployment. if only i knew how to work said system....
i loved my days of living on government cheese. but it ran out and in 3 wks i'll be employed for a whole year. which freaked out my bosses as much as it's delighting me. but then i'm looking forward to another 3 months of joblessness and a banging trip to nicaragua. that much i do know. and if i make it to europe too- hey, kudos to me. i love unemployment when i'm getting paid for it but then it becomes hellish, and restless- although did i tell you? i've an inch around my waist- i guess charging my gym membership and all that distilled water is finally paying off!
i've often wondered about this too. i assumed it was b/c L.A. is the land of freelancers. i can remember in dublin it was the same. we'd be out and about at 11am, or 2pm, or whatever and there were always a gazillion people of all ages shopping EVERWHERE. not only were people not working, but their kids were with them, not in school. it was weird. can i have that job, er, non job?
why are you so funny and clever?? why? why?
my irish friend says the reason everyone is out shopping with their kids is b/c in ireland, they have their priorities right. hmmmm... maybe that means in hollywood...ha ha! no! couldn't even finish the sentence! ha ha ha! : )
ooo! maybe it's true. hollywood has its-- okay, no i tried it too- ha.ha. i really can't bring myself to say it. considering that callie is WORKING ON EASTER and won't say no. i've outed her- i had too.
Yes, and it comes no where near the Easter I spent with family friends in England. Or at home eating jellybeans. Or anything else, practically.
However, I DID go to church Saturday afternoon, so I'm not a total heathen. (Just mostly since this is the third Sunday in a row I've worked.)
Also, all those people who go to restaurants after church? Yeah, their servers and cooks and so on are also working on Easter...
Not that it wouldn't have been nice to go to my church and have more than one day off a week.
Post a Comment