Sunday, September 17, 2006

I recently rewatched In the Mood For Love. And while I was watching, I remembered that the first time I saw the movie was back in highschool with my parents...still just a kid. I remember that I totally lost interest in the movie, and never finished it. Probably partly because I couldn't understand what they were saying, and the chinese subtitles were going too fast for me to read.

Fast forward to now, rewatching the movie for the 5th or 6th time...just thinking that it's brilliant. The subtleties, the concept, the acting, the music...all of it combined together, it's all just brilliant, and I get it, and understand it (partly because now I have the version with ENGLISH subtitles) on a much deeper level. It's really one of my favorites.

But rewind back to me in highschool, I remember thinking, man, this is one of those artsy fartsy movies that rich people sit around to watch and say is brilliant just so they can seem smarter than they really are. This movie is a bunch of nonsense.

So doing all this thinking about the movie led me to wonder: would my kid self approve of my adult self? And I even hesitate to say adult, because I really don't feel like one yet. I guess more mature would be better. If I, as a 16 year old, could see myself now, as a 25 year old, would I be proud? Or would I be disappointed? And if I, as a 25 year old right now, could see myself as a 40 year old, what would I think of her?

When I was in highschool, I wanted to be a musician. A professional musician. I wanted to play in the philharmonic, or for broadway shows, or cirque du soleil (I got introduced to it in highscool...) And now, looking back, it really wouldn't have worked for many many reasons. But if I were to tell my younger self what I'm doing now, before I knew what I know now, would my younger self be pissed at me now?

1 comment:

We are the summer masters. said...

She would kick your ass... except that you could take her in a fight - the advantage of being older (and more inclined to think smoking is awesome, apparently). After a good noogie or two you could probably calm her enough to see things your way, maybe have her read through your epic blog.

But you've got me thinking. What would mini-me think of his unavoidable future? I think he would appreciate what I've done professionally (still like to think teaching is noble). But socially? I can guarantee that scrawny guy would kick my ass.

Still somewhat socially awkward and outright inept, at times? Especially around girls I like? That's just sad.

Hmm... Tell me more about this club of the magic white stick, szu. Can it help with my problem?