Sunday, June 04, 2006

I used to love living so close to work. My commute was 2 minutes, give or take, depending on whether I walked or biked that day. I could come home for lunch and take a nap if I so desired. Save money on gas and get some exercise at the same time. Lots of benefits, I tell ya.

I don't love it so much any more. It's not "MY" work anymore, its merely a past tense now. Living so close to your previous place of employment has its ups and downs. Mostly ups though. I still run into co-workers every now and again at the grocery store or crossing the street, or even randomly at Corner Bakery. I worked with a bunch of amazing, great people, which is why I love to run in to them when I do. And especially since I don't have much human encounter during my days anymore, seeing a familiar face is always exciting. But afterwards, it always reminds me of how I'm no longer there, part of that group. So the initial "Hey! How are ya! It's so good to see ya!" in the beginning is a great high until we both go our separate ways, and I realize that I'm not going to see them again in 5 minutes back at the office. It's quite a downer really. Especially when I come home and find myself in mid-conversation with the cat...that's trouble.

And running into management is always AWKWARD. The other day I found myself on the opposite side of the street just as the owner, Mr. X, happened to be walking towards my direction. My heart raced, my palms sweated. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't possibly turn and run away, that would've been too obvious. Yet there was no large hole in front of me to fall into. What was I to do? Afterall, this was the man who is essentially responsible for my unemployment. Probably not directly, but he had to ok the deal. So you can see how a large hole in the ground would've come in handy at this moment in time. And all I could think to do was smile and wave to him across the street, and quickly continue on my way. To this day I still can't think of another thing I could've done, though I wish I could.

It's time to move. Especially with this heat...

No comments: