Friday, October 14, 2011

Monthly visits?

Hello old friend.

Haven't posted in a month! What's that all about?

Life. That's what it's all about. Actually no, I wish it was life that's keeping me busy! It's just work.

First up, welcome new anonymous reader! Or maybe old reader newly anonymous. Who knows, who cares. All I know is that my readership is now up to 3.5ish. Huzzah! That is news to get excited about!

But also. My TV is broken. I came home and turned it on and all I got was fuzz. My guess is that the neighbors cut something and screwed up my cable system. And yes, I think I'm getting cable from the neighbors. I'm not really all that clear about it since all my bills are included in the rent. And when I asked my landlord about the cable, he said something that I couldn't quite decipher due to his heavy accent and I was tired of asking him "what" one more time.

So now I don't have tv. Which isn't that horrible because I'd like to think I don't watch that much tv anyway. But I did use it for white noise. And now....silence. Oh the silence. Sure I can use the radio or turn on some music, but I actually WANT to pay attention to those things. I want to LISTEN to my music. I want to pay ATTENTION to the radio or podcasts. I can't just tune those things out like I can with TV noise. I hope this situation fixes itself but judging by the look of the fuzz...I have a good feeling it's gone for good.

I just finished watching An Affair to Remember and it is just as good as they say! And I always thought sleepless in seattle ruined that movie for me but they really didn't! Or maybe I just remembered it wrong. But it was highly enjoyable. One thing that struck me while watching this...and possible spoiler alert coming up even though...I don't think it spoils the ending...

So my beef with romantic comedies is that they always fall in love too quickly. One kiss. One night. One look, and BAM, they're getting married. I know most movies are 2 hours or less so there's not much time to see the progression of a couple's love (except for maybe When Harry Met Sally, that movie did this excellently), but! It's always still too fast for me. So when Nicky asks Terry to marry him, per usual, I was thinking, what! Already! But then she said she'll have to think about it. And something in the way she said that line made me suddenly understand. At one time marriage for people was this...this thing to be done. Sure you have to have some affection in there for each other, but mostly marriage was an arrangement. None of this lovey dovey love at first sight I can't live without you psychotic love that we've built it up to be. It was just a "ok let's do this thing" thing. Like asking someone to go away on vacation with you...but for the rest of your life. The main point is to relax and have fun, and sure you'll have disagreements along the way, but you'll have to find a way to resolve them pretty quickly because you have to travel with this person for the rest of your vacation and you don't want to ruin the vacation...

Wow that was a pretty deep analogy I just came up with there. I just come up with the best things sometimes. Good job brain.

I don't know if the prior point made any sense, but my point is that I kinda get it now. So whereas all this time I've been thinking that rom coms are getting it wrong by jumping the marriage gun too quickly, it's ME that's been getting it wrong. Maybe it is that easy. S, feel free to weigh in here.


I should mention that work has been stressing me out quite a bit, making me feel like I'm not as good at what I do as I thought I was. And sure it's a learning process and all that, but I just want to be the best. Right away. All the time. But i'm getting bored even mentioning this topic so maybe I'll save it for another day.

And lastly, I've been told to write. (Not me personally, just in general, I'm in the creative world, I should constantly be writing my own thing if I want to get noticed.) I've been told that it's the one thing that everyone knows how to do, and it's something that we do everyday. I always tell people and myself, I'm not the poor penniless writah, I'm more the crazy sitah player, I'll leave the writing to Ewan Mcgreggor who pines away at his typewritah for the beautiful Satine. And then I come on my blog and say it's good writing practice while outside I tell people I don't write. It's a weird mindfuck I pull on myself. So enough of that. Yes I write. I'm not a writer by profession. But I do write. And I will be writing more. (Right after I go find some books on how to write.) And then I'll be just like everyone else at starbucks...laptop open, working on the latest draft of my "script". It's gonna be grand!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I came across this website the other day of this couple getting married - I don't know them. But it seems like a wham-bam-thank-you-mam kind of relationship. I think I'm getting to that age where that might be what I'm left with. Part of me would've wanted to date someone for ten years or whatever before moving on, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards I've been dealt, which is fine.

And wasn't there something awhile back with you writing something for the company and a pilot and I was advising to make sure you had the rights to whatever you were doing, etc? I'm not going to hunt around and dig it up, but something like that... anything ever happen there?

SW said...

Nope. Back to the drawing board.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the drawing board. You know, no writers in your industry ever really comes up with anything *new* - it's always the same thing recycled in a slightly different way.

Well. I think. I don't have a tv either.

Anonymous said...

On Point

Anonymous B said...

Anonymous B, here (as I'm late to the party, I must look to differentiate myself).

While I'm by no means a hollywood talent scout, I do believe the bulk of this post could make a juicy premise to a movie, in the same vein as When Harry Met Sally exploring the notion that men and women can't be friends without sex yada yada yada. In fact, if I had an ounce of talent, I would steal your words and spin a magnificent narrative around them. Instead, I look after my pet bird.

Oh, and at the risk of offending this blog's author (and at the risk of receiving a chivalrous thrashing from my anonymous counterpart), I would just like to point out that for someone who preaches the benefits of regimented writing, you certainly do not lead by example. In this world of civil unrest, people are looking for a voice. Give them yours*

*Pretend someone inspirational said that, like Nelson Mandela or some shit.

anonymous b said...

alright, I get it. Cold shoulder. I was off base. Sheesh :)