Friday, September 11, 2009

The thing about blogs...

Last night, in an attempt to be less secretive and more open about myself, I told a few coworkers over some delicious hipster sausages that I do indeed have a blog. This was after their rant about how blogs are narcissistic and really, who would want to read about what you have to say? "If you're my friend I"ll just talk to you, I don't need to read about it," I think was one of the arguments.

And yes, while I would have to agree that the whole notion of a blog is a bit self absorbed, at the same time, I'm wondering, What's wrong with being a bit self absorbed once in a while? It's not like you're shoveling it down people's throats. It's not a direct email or phone call to any one in particular. You get to talk about yourself as much as you want, and people can read it when they feel like it, at their "leisure." That's right, because reading my blog should be done at your leisure.

I brought up the blog NOT because they were vilifying blogs ("making fun of" was more like it), and I felt like I had to shut them up, or defend my blog. Like I said, they had some pretty valid points. I brought it up merely because I wanted to contribute to the conversation and what better way to do so than to admit that yes, I am an active participant.

It's always a bit awkward bringing up the blog. But whenever you do, the inevitable "what's your blog called" is asked. Let me just say, I bring it up to let people know that "this is something I do," and not necessarily to passive aggressively ask them to read it in a roundabout way. I really have no preference whether I want to let people read my blog or not. It's just that...I'd rather not know about you reading my blog. Once I know who my audience is, I start writing (and editing) according to the audience, and then I feel like I can't be myself and write all the things I want. You think I'm secretive now, wait til I get a real following! By that time, the blog will cease to exist.

Besides, it's the age of the internet. If people like said coworkers were really curious and wanted to read my blog, they could just do a simple search. You don't even have to be a stalker to know how to do that.

What I should have said to those naysaying blog bottom-dwellers was this:
My blog allows me to write my thoughts down, and how I'm feeling at any given time. It's as much for myself as it is for other people; it's a record of the little things that go on in my little life, and once in a while, I enjoy going back in time and remembering those little moments, because we take so much of it for granted. It also helps me to keep what little writing chops I have up, because I need to work on my other skills in order to keep my sanity during work.

I love my blog, and I'm glad I started it up all those years ago, despite even my own skepticism at the beginning. GO ME.

ME. ME. ME. ME. ME.

Because it's MY blog.

Thank you for reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time out. "It's just that...I'd rather not know about you reading my blog. Once I know who my audience is, I start writing (and editing) according to the audience, and then I feel like I can't be myself and write all the things I want. You think I'm secretive now, wait til I get a real following! By that time, the blog will cease to exist."

How many months did we spent trying to figure out the identity of me, the 'anonymous' commenter?

I don't buy it.

SW said...

Yes, Anonymous, how did I know you'd have something to say about my blog blog.

First of all, it was not months.

Second of all, I thought of you when I wrote this post, thinking the same thing, except, I guess I should've added the part about "people who I know and know me on a fairly regular basis."

Of course I want people to read my blog. But it's a bit different when friends and coworkers who factor a big part in my life read the blog than when an anonymous entity reads it.

And all those so called "months" of trying to figure out this anonymous identity was really just to see whether I know you or not, in order to figure out whether I should take heed in what I say. Which, of course, I realized was ridiculous. I should feel free to say what I feel like on my own blog. Especially my own blog with a readership of 5.

Third of all, you don't have to buy anything. It's my blog, and I'm not selling anything. Look, I'm even saving you money!

Lastly, I know we've had our differences in the past, but thanks for reading. Let's shake hands and play nice.

Anonymous said...

I always play nice.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Well, I enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed reading the comments. ;o)

Do I get points for spotting a "You've Got Mail" reference in this post? I must really have it on the mind since I keep looking for quotes of it in my life. Looking forward to watching it this evening.

Love you! Love the blog! 'nuff said.

SW said...

Hooray! I knew you would get that reference. ONLY YOU.

So last night after talking to you i debated whether to watch YGM or read New Moon, it was a tough decision, but I figured a read through of a few pages wasn't going to take as long as a whole movies.

Ugh. I should've stuck with the movie. I can't believe I still have so many pages to go.