Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chicken nuggets of substance.

Can you tell I have food on the brain? When do i not have food on the brain though, that's the question.

FINALLY HOME. 12 hr day followed by 14 hr day. You know how when you go talk to your boss about having more responsibilities? And then you actually get it, and you're like, oh crap, what did I do? Yea, it's kinda like that. It's a long story I'd rather not get into.

Came home to find C already fast asleep. Poor guy, I've ignored him the whole day. Hopefully it gets better the rest of the week.

The other day I was reading this blog (one which I can't remember the name of now), and the blogger was talking about new years resolutions. And how every year people resolve to do something more. Lose more weight. Eat more vegetables. Be nicer. She proposed that this year, her resolution was to just BE ENOUGH. Instead of exerting all this energy into trying to be more of a person, she suggested trying to just be you...now. Because how you are right now is enough. Because you are perfect as you are now.

I wish I can find the post because she explains it so much more eloquently than I.

I'm not sure where I stand on this matter. On one hand, what she said sounded so great. I mean for a whole year, instead of trying to diet or practice perfect or go to the gym more or be the perfect friend, what she is proposing is for me to do nothing. Doesn't that sound great? Well not nothing. She wants us to accept who we are, which I guess is a challenge in itself. But I feel like thats more a mental and emotional challenge than a physical one. What no gym? No boxes to lift? Sure, I can do that!

But on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd want to. I'm all about learning and being a better person and growing constantly. What she wants me to do basically goes against my basic beliefs, even though they sound so great in theory. But if I accept who I am and how I am now, does that mean I miss out on a year of growth? Am I held back a year? She says we've been taught from an early age (read: brainwashed, or a nicer term...influenced), and all our lives we think we have to strive to be better and more. I want to be better and more, but am I just succumbing to what I've been taught and what society wants me to do? And you know how I feel when I find out that someone's trying to get me to do something. (I do the opposite. Usually.)

Anyway, without getting too much into it...I hope I've made my case clear. But what do you guys think? What would you side with? I really want to know.

I'll try to find the post and repost it. Most likely, I'll have misunderstood her whole point when I first read it, and will have to write a retraction post sometime in the near future. So I guess look for that.


Also, I started out with chicken nuggets as my title, but added the substance midway as I wrote more substance. See what I did there? Nuggets of gold. Genius.

2 comments:

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Without reading it first hand, I'm not sure where I stand. Although, I think the best approach is to do both. If her goal is to really be okay with who you are now then that can still be acomplished by striving to be more.

Example - Abby will be starting kindergarten this coming year. I am perfectly content with my daughter just as she is now. She is a bright, happy, beautiful young girl. However, I would hate to think that she went into kindergarten with no intent to learn more about her potential, her surroundings, and her reading & arythmetic. Our situation as an adult is quite the same, except for in place of reading & arythmetic, most of us have the goal of a healthy body.

Is this making sense?

Accept where you are now & take joy that you have the opportunity to grow, don't look at it as a chore or way to succumb to the pressures of society.

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog and i really appreciate the excellent quality content you are posting here for free for your online readers. thanks peace sandro