Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ergo, ego.

Sometimes when I see people not taking criticism well from me or from someone else, I just want to say to them, Chill Out, I'm not judging you, I'm just trying to help you in the area I'm criticizing you in. But as always, it's easier to dish it than to take it.

I don't take criticism well myself. I take everything as a personal attack on me and who I am, and how much I've failed (depending on how much you criticize). I can't step back and try to look at things on a bigger perspective, like I wish others would. I want so much to succeed in everything I do that I take criticism, even constructive ones, as failure.

I automatically go into attack mode ("well...you're a stupidhead!" is usually what runs through my mind). I think of all the reasons why they're wrong and how they're wrong. And then I cry and feel like a failure when I realize they're right.

It really all comes down to EGO. Yours and mine and his and hers. I really can't stand having a bruised ego. There's been times when I know I'm wrong and having to admit it is so so SOOOO hard to do. Maybe I should read some freud. Better yet, maybe there's a podcast...I have a feeling freud's gonna be a tough man to conquer.

I guess I just need to learn that it's ok to fail. When I fail it's just a chance for me to get up and do it better the next time. A second chance. How often are you given that? I guess as many times as you fail.

Also, I guess failing's not so bad. If you fail well enough, you get minor celebrity status on failblog. And....if you were the very BEST at failing, would you really be a failure?

How do you guys think you handle criticism?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh jeebus. This is what, like, my sister does for a living. Helps people learn how to respond to feedback, or whatever. The topic makes me want to puke. On to the next post!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

I think I'm with Anonymous on this one. Ironically, this post didn't sit well with me. Mainly because I think the idea of some criticism being equated to failure seems extreme. Chin up my dear friend!

SW said...

Great, my fans are booing me off the stage. You're all stupidheads anyways. I'm going to go cry now.

Ta-da!

A, tell your sister I'd like an appointment.