Thursday, January 07, 2010

Need a punching bag.

That last post was just another exasperated comment directed at my apt manager. She gave me the cd of the surveillance footage tonight and said a bunch of things. One of which i think i caught was "we had to reset it" meaning everything was deleted, but they got the cd out. So I take it back to my apt and put it in the computer and guess what, it doesn't work. Big surprise.

I'll admit, I'm very annoyed. But I think I can't really do much now except just face the fact that I'll never get this footage, the detective is never going to call me back, I'll never get my stuff back. Would this be considered giving up? I don't want to be a quitter. Thing is, when do you fight for things and when do you know that it's time to move on? In this burglary and life in general? Thoughts people?

I need to focus on more positive things:

Things for the apartment are on the up and up.

Had a nice dinner with T tonight who I realized is another great gf to have. I know I said no more gfs, but I met her before the cutoff, so it's cool. I also made the mistake of visiting her new place, which was so huge it made my soon to be place look like a shed. That's ok though, it'll be what they call "cozy" and "quaint."

Also remembered to return my library book today, lucky for me the place we planned to meet was right across the street from the library. And A, I picked up the Antarctic book. I think I saw you on p. 85, in a tuxedo? Yea, thought so. Also picked up a few cookbooks. Y'know, for all that cooking I'm not going to do. The great thing about this library is that it's new, and so are most of the books. It's like shopping at the bookstore practically. The downside to this library...very small selection.

The place for dinner was better than I expected and we had great conversation and catch up time.

But the best part of everything is that I'm trying to wrangle myself into an interview with J. Macavoy tomorrow. The interview is for work, the me being there is for my pleasure. We've interviewed a few interesting people in the past but none as great as JM. I have many lovers. He is one of them. I just hope that Ben lets me come along, and that I don't embarrass him too much. I hope I can restrain myself around him. Hm...what does one wear to meet mr macavoy????

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would do a few things wrt the building manager - maybe write a letter to the owner about her as you leave - saying that she purposefully gave you a blank cd and destroyed the tapes, or she should've checked the cd for content before moving the tapes. The owner is definitely on your side on this, and what the lady did is BS.

The alternative, and probably better, thing to do is just breathe, forget about it, and move on. You're almost certainly not getting your stuff back. You're moving. Just let it go.

It's a great book, take some time with it. And I am in there, just not on 85...

And the most amusing part of reading the blog for me is your celebrity fascination. The sightings, etc. Because I know nothing about any of it. And don't care. J. Macavoy? Should I have heard of this person? Because I haven't. Haven't even heard the name before just now without knowing who he is.

And I lot of times I go to friends' houses and think how much bigger they are than the place I bought over the summer, but then I remember that it's just me and I don't have a spouse or a family and most of my rooms are still totally empty anyway and the place, being small, is still way more than I need. But seeing other people's places still makes me compare whenever I do so.

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

The library by us apparently is not even open yet because they don't have enough books. Why put, in big letters, the word LIBRARY if you're not even open yet?

BTW - I'm with A - you just gotta let it go & I have no clue who JM is either.

~sarah said...

I also don't know this JM. Please expound.

And I think the letting go is good, though I might write a letter as A suggests before the final release. : ) A building manager, responsible for the safety and well being of so many others, needs to be more accountable. Definitely call BS on her if you feel so inclined. Those tapes were about the only chance you had of getting your stuff back.

On the other hand, if you can get those serial numbers to the detective, whether he calls you back or not, you might catch a break. Remember how the moving company stole my stuff when I moved out here? The FBI thought it was all gone and so did I, but I gave them as much info as I could anyway. 3 months later, they found my stuff in storage with other stolen goods and since they had all that info from me, they identified it as mine right away. It probably didn't hurt that my mom was going all prayer-warrior on the case too. Want me to ask her to lend you a hand? : )

SW said...

I would LOVE to write the owners a letter or even call them...I have tried this ever since this debacle started, TRUST ME. I've tried looking for a number or address on the internet, apparently they're not listed or my CSI skills aren't as great as I thought. There is no contact information about the owners or management company anywhere on the lease. No trace of them. But seriously, I spent a while looking for contact information on the internet. No go.

The apt manager won't give me their info, because apparently someone showed up one time in person to the offices. I think I'm aggravated enough to do so as well...if I knew where they were.

I don't think she purposely is not giving me my footage, I think she's just kind of an idiot. She was saying that they had to "reset" the system in order to get the stuck cd out. The stuck cd probably never finished burning all the way through. The manager also says the owner was with her when they reset it, but I don't know that I believe this.

I will probably have to let this one go. The detective I'm still trying to track down.

James McAvoy. I spelled his name wrong last night. You might remember him from such films as Becoming Jane, Atonement, Wanted. (Though C today said that after she saw Wanted, she was not interested in him anymore, which, I believe.)

This is what I do, celebrities are in my field of work. Most of the time I could care less, sometimes I'm interested or amused, and rarely am I IN LOVE with one. JM is one of them, only because I think he's really good at what he does and have seen interviews of him where he seems down to earth, instead of say, Robert Downey Jr or worse yet, Jaime Foxx, who has let celebrity go to their heads and egos.

I find people who do what they do WELL very attractive. Even old man Walter Murch, yknow? I think it's only natural to be attracted to people who are so passionate and so good about something.

And alas, I could not go to the interview today, even though I wore my best dress. I asked Ben how it went, he said JM was excellent. They had technical difficulties so Ben even got to chit chat with him for 20 minutes while they waited! I imagine that would've been wonderful for me. He said JM was cool (I knew it!!!!) and is by far one of the best interviews we've had (and we've had a few duds, I worked on one today, and let's just say, he is not as Bueller in person as he is in the movie).

Maybe when I finish the piece I'll post it for you kids. We can't release it til April-ish though. So stay tuned. In the mean time, go watch Atonement.

Whew. Should've made this into a post huh?

Anonymous said...

So. If you want some help with your CSI, check this link. I hope it works. You can't seem to find the info online, even though I know you can in other parts of the country. But it's still public info, so you can get it if you want.

If there's a business name or something on the lease (probably), you might also try to use this search page, and that might work.

SW said...

Wow, you are SO CSI. Thanks for those links! Will look into that.

However, I have a feeling I'll get the owner's information, but what I really want is the management company. I just want to talk to her boss and rat her out on how awfully she is handling this whole situation. In any case, I will do some more work on this. Thanks for the link.