Um....so.
The coffee i got this morning was great, it really was. But I did not tip them. Ok, so sue me, I didn't tip my coffee guy. I've never been a big fan of that cafe anyways, but I do admit they have good coffee. I vaguely remember not tipping and just signing my slip. However, if I HAD tipped, which I am admitting here I probably didn't, I probably would've written down $1.
I'm going through my receipts and expense just now and saw that they had charged me .70cents more than what was charged. And what do you know, I did the math, that is about 20%. Unfortunately I'm not very good at math, so if i HAD tipped the guy, I would've made it $1 to keep things even, I wouldn't take the time to figure out that 20% is .70 cents.
The nerve of the guy to write down his own tip!!!
Ok, I've only worked at a small coffee shop before, never really a waitress so I'll have to say I haven't worked in food service. I know it's a hard job, and when I do eat out I tip regular to fairly well, depending on things. But is it normal or a waiter's right to just write in their own tip? I took my coffee TO GO. I didn't even stay. This is why I hate that place. This plus the fact that their food is bland and their service is usually rude and horrible. But they're close and they have good coffee which is my excuse for my scant visits.
I'm not sure what to do now. It's not about the .70 cents. Who cares, it's less than a dollar. It's about the PRINCIPLE!! Is it even legal for them to write in their own tip?? So do I want to go and complain about .70cents? And lose ever going back in there again? I've never been a good complainer, even if I did talk to the manager he'd probably sense this right away and tell me to get lost. Or do I just suck it up and ignore it and keep my coffee privileges and let them get away with it? Maybe I can write a yelp review and tell everyone to stay away.
I need some thoughts from my readers, thanks.
BTW, this is my 700th post, take 2!
5 hours ago
4 comments:
I haven't specifically looked up the law on that point - maybe I will in a few minutes - but I case with virtual certainty say that it isn't legal. And I, personally, wouldn't let it slide. I'd be pissed. Even though it's only $0.70.
And even though I'm not really one for confrontation either, I would see a manager about something like this. This is bullshit. He really, really shouldn't be doing that.
Advice.
And that link links to other pages with people talking about this, like this page.
I agree with AA. That was WRONG. It's stealing. I mean, it's only 70 cents, but in theory he could've written in $20 if he wanted. I think you should go to the manager, discreetly, and complain. That way there is no stink in front of the employees and you can probably go back if you like because they won't know it was you.
Also, a tip on tips, if you aren't giving one, always write a slash mark or something through the tip line so no one can fill it in.
Personally, I almost never tip on take away orders when paying with my card in coffee shops. I will do it only if the person at the register is super friendly or it's such an indie shop I feel like I'm sticking it to the man by supporting them. But otherwise, it's basically fast food. You don't tip at McDonald's do you? If I pay with cash and have some change, I'll throw that in. But really, handing you a cup of coffee isn't tip-worthy, unless maybe you ordered something impossibly hard to make. : )
Post a Comment