Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What ho!

Been having lunches with italiano coworker F and we always learn so much from each other!

He was talking about being sick and not really knowing the protocol here with insurance and what not, and was surprised when the doctor's office told him to go into the office to see the doc. He brought up a good point: how do I get myself to the doctor's office when I can barely get out of bed? Makes sense right? So C and I asked how it's done in italy. Because we were really thinking, how else are you suppose to do it? That's just how it's done! He nonchalantly says that the doctor comes to your home. "HE DOES WHAT??" was our response. We were floored. But it totally makes sense! If you're sick and ailing why would you want to leave the house to pay for some guy to tell you to stay in bed?

And yea, I guess doctors DO make house calls here but the only ones I've ever seen are the ones on Private Practice on thursday nights. And they look expennnnnnsive. I mean come on, they have houses on the beach! But I guess if you want any doctor to make house calls, you want the good looking ones. Am I right? Am I right? Up top!

Also we got into a discussion of americans using the word "like" too freely and casually. It was interesting to see this very recently transplanted italiano use the word as much as we do. After a little research, we all learned that it stems from the beat culture in the 50s.

Also, there is a celebrated holiday in existence called, Epiphany.

I love europeans.

Which makes me think, I need to get out more. I need to be exposed to more odd holidays and language differences, foods and well...pretty much everything and anything.

2010 is the year to do so. It shall be done.

Go forth.

2 comments:

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

Like this post. It inspires me to learn more and say "like" less.

~sarah said...

Epiphany isn't an odd holiday. :) It's part of the catholic holy calendar and is the time period after Christmas. It is a "holy day," or days, rather. And technically, so is Christmas, being the celebration of Christ's birth. Yes, yes, Christians imposed it upon pagan winter solstice celebrations, but Christmas the holiday is still a celebration of Christ's birth and so it is not odd at all that it would be followed by Epiphany. Currently, we are in Advent. Eventually, we'll be in Lent. All observances of the Christian faith, but not exactly holidays. : )